Raw vegan blueberry cheesecake
I love making presents, especially when it’s for a very good old friend. And what’s better than a real birthday cake? You can even taste your birthday present and why not feeling that special day with all your senses? So, of course, that cake has to be something special, something that makes you close your eyes and just let you feel the unique taste.
When thinking about that special friend, my decision was easily made, because she is my room mate. That’s why we know each other quite good. It’s wonderful living together with one of your best friends, it’s easy and there is always someone with whom you can talk about everything! And of course we can share our passion for healthy food and living … I have made raw vegan blueberry cheesecake some time before and my friend just loved it! So why not treating her with that again for her birthday?
I really love all kinds of raw treats and cakes, especially those „cheese“cakes!
So here are the reasons, why this cake convinces me 100%:
1. The base: dates and almonds! Ok, maybe that already convinces, in my case it does! I am having some juicy dates combined with almonds sometimes as my favorite little snack, it’s like a flavor combination of caramel and marzipan. Some coconut flakes and a little maple syrup added and heaven, here we come!
2. The plain cheesecake layer: but of course there is more goodness to come … cashews, my addiction. And I can tell you, I am really kind of addicted to cashews, their flavor makes me think of the best butter cookies my grandma used to bake. And they are so versatile! Combined with coconut milk makes a super super creamy layer and I really enjoy every taste of coconut. Of course a little sweetener is also added.
3. The blueberry layer: so let’s take the plain cheesecake layer and add some more goodness: my self gathered forest blueberries I saved from summer.
Not only the color of that layer is gorgeous, it also tastes heavenly and gives your healthy cake the extra kick by adding some extra antioxidants!
So convinced? I am definitely! Because this cake combines all my favorites and is healthy at the same time!
So perfect for my best friends and not only she enjoyed it, also all of her friends and family … maybe next time I have to make two of these fantastic cakes!
Raw vegan blueberry cheesecake
(makes a 15 cm diameter cake)
- 1 1/2 cup almond meal (or processed almonds)
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- a pinch of cinnamon
The cheesecake layer:
- 2 cups cashews (soaked)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup blueberries
1. Soak the dates in hot water for some minutes.
2. If you are using almonds in a whole, put them in your food processor and process until you get a nice flour. It doesn't matter if there are still some bigger pieces.
3. Drain the dates and add them together with the coconut flakes, the maple syrup and the cinnamon to your food processor. Process until you get a nice sticky dough.
4. Place a baking paper on your baking pan and evenly press the dough with your fingers on the bottom of the baking pan. Freeze the dough.
5. It’s important that you have soaked the cashews for at least 5 hours. I usually put them in the fridge overnight. Rinse the water and put the cashews together with the coconut milk (the coconut butter and the water), the melted coconut oil and the agave syrup in your food processor. Process until you get a nice cream.
6. Remove the baking pan from the freezer and pour half of the dough on top of the almond-date base. Take it back to the freezer.
7. Now add the blueberries to the rest of the cashew cream and process. You will get the most adorable blue cashew cream. Pour it on top of the plain layer and freeze your whole cheesecake for some hours.
8. It’s best to remove the cheesecake one hour before eating from the freezer.